Well, I am happy to say that I finished my Amy Dorrit ballgown in time for the Literary Ball! YAY! 😀
“That’s a lot of hair…”
…errr, fabric. 🙂
I’ve been working on my Amy Dorrit dress for the Literary Ball! For a while, it was looking like I wouldn’t be able to attend the ball, but everything’s seeming to work out that I can go, so I’m VERY excited. 😀 😀 So last week we were at JoAnn’s and the polyester shantung fabric was on sale, and it was the right shade for my Amy dress, so I purchased it. This week I’ve been working on the mock-up, and yesterday I spent several hours laying out the main fabric and situating the pieces and thinking about it… I can’t tell you how scary it was making that first cut into the expensive(to me) fabric. 😉
We are planning to attend a Literary Ball in April. You can come as any book character, and I decided to come as Amy Dorrit. This is the dress I’m planning to re-make (just hopefully I can find the right fabric for a sensible price! 🙂 )
Is it lovely? I’m so excited about this project and really hope I can find the right material and get the right look!
Whew, did I learn a lot in this sewing experience! I find that with each sewing project I undertake, I learn something new– and it’s not always sewing techniques; it’s generally things like humility (no, I don’t know everything!), patience (it’s okay to slow down and fix things that went wrong!), and taking directions (why do I so often think I know how it will work, rather than the directions? Please, readers, take Jenny Chancey’s advice: make a toile and alter if you need to!)
Overall it was such a pleasure to make and I am very happy with it. Thank you all for your encouragement while I worked on it. 🙂
I sewed the skirt to the blouse and tried it on and it made me look like a blimp. That’s got to be bad, as I am relatively skinny! The neckline was too wide and showed the bumps on the tops of my shoulders, and Mommy didn’t like that, and we figured that it would look better to gather it a little. But the question was, “How?” I’d have to cut out a whole entire new bodice; I’d have to start over again from Square 1! And I did not want to do that!
So I presented my problem to my friends on the forum and got some good ideas. “Mrs. Jenny Chancey herself ( 🙂 ) suggested that these shelves be fit exactly as you see them here…” Oops, no, that wasn’t it… sorry… 😛 She suggested pulling a drawstring through the space where I understitched the lining. Unfortunately, I understitched very close to the seam, so I will just take that out and re-understitch it a little farther away so I can slip a drawstring through. So while watching P&P (1995) last night with my cousin (who hadn’t seen it yet 😉 ) I took out the sleeves, bias, and waistband to fix that lining. Bad idea to do it while watching P&P because now I want to make myself another Regency dress!! Ugh, I’m such a NUT! 😛
Well, I’ll let you know how it goes. 😀